This posting cannot receive an online application from your BostonJobs.com account. To apply, follow the employer's instructions within their job description.
North Suffolk Mental Health AssociationLocation: Revere, MA 02151 Document ID: AC443-5KCA Posted on: 2018-12-1512/15/2018 Job Type: Full-time
Direct Support Professional 5
For 59 years, North Suffolk Mental Health Association, Inc. has provided community-based mental health services to individuals and families in East Boston, Boston, Chelsea, Revere and Winthrop. The agency was founded in 1959 and currently has 1000 staff and a budget exceeding $50 Million. In response to community needs, NSMHA has developed a comprehensive and integrated community-based system of engagement, treatment, rehabilitation and support programs to promote the recovery of adults living with developmental disabilities.
Pay rate: $16.00/hr
Come join us in this exciting opportunity that will change how services are delivered in the community mental health system!
Opportunity for Direct Support Professional 5
As a DSP 5, you will be an integral part of our commitment to providing a safe, comfortable home that promotes dignity and independence. We believe that quality of life begins in the home and that getting involved with the neighboring community, is central to the quality of life for the individuals we support.
DSP V staff will work with individuals who need complete assistance with ADL's, feeding, and behavioral interventions in the home and in the community. Most individuals served have level 2 behavior plans, and/or aggression. Staff will need to complete restraints using techniques learned through NAPPI training. The DSP 5 is also an ISP specialist that will take the lead writing ISPs and training other staff how to implement ISP goals and summaries. With the assistance of the Behavior Specialist and Program Manager, the DSP 5 will be able to train other staff on behavior plans and reward systems.
Expectations of the role:
- Support the people we serve and help them complete their daily routines
- Work together with the people we serve, their families, friends, employers, and other support staff to transform their lives
- Provide clients with opportunities to learn and exercise that will increase their independence as much as possible
- Responsible for accompanying individuals to medical appointments, ensuring accurate reporting to physician and follow through with respect to doctor's orders and recommendations.
- Use positive behavior support strategies. Carry out all interventions in an individual's Behavioral Protocol Plan as written and trained.
- Be an active, contributing and problem-solving member of the direct care team. Support co-workers by sharing knowledge about individuals as appropriate for the role of support staff.
- Provide best-practice procedures, treatments, and approaches to help clients with developmental disabilities achieve their goals.
- High School diploma or GED
- Six to twelve months experience providing child care/elder care/direct support to developmentally disabled persons or previous experience supporting individuals in a mental health/special education or other human services setting is preferred.
- An equivalent combination of education and related work experience may be considered.
- Successfully complete all mandatory training's as required by the Agency within the required time frame.
- Obtain MAP, CPR/First Aide certification within five (5) continuous months of hire
- A valid Massachusetts driver's license
- Off-site travel is required to attend meetings, client functions/appointments and trainings.
- Must have no lifting restrictions in order to assist clients and handle routine program functions.
- Paid Time Off Two weeks' Vacation per year (three weeks after 2 years of service), 12 Sick Days per year, and 10 Paid Holidays per year
- Health & Dental Insurance, with generous employer contribution
- Employer Paid Life Insurance
- 403 (b) Retirement Plan with employer matching
- Voluntary Short and Long Term Disability Insurance
- Medical/Dependent Care/Commuter Flexible Spending Accounts
- Access to Credit Union Banking
- Access to State Tuition Remission Program (Worksite Specific)
- Employee Referral Bonus Program
- Discounted Movie Tickets
- Comprehensive Training Program
- Internal Advancement Opportunities