This posting cannot receive an online application from your BostonJobs.com account. To apply, follow the employer's instructions within their job description.
Harvard UniversityLocation: Cambridge, MA 02138 Document ID: AC234-4TNM Posted on: 2018-07-1307/13/2018 Job Type: Full-time
The Harvard Graduate School of Design seeks an enthusiastic Web/UX Developer with strong people skills to help jumpstart the evolution of the next phase of the School's award-winning public website and other media-rich web properties. NOTE: This is a one-year term position with the possibility of continuation.
Reporting to the Assistant Director of Digital Content & Strategy with a dotted line to the Assistant Dean of Information Technology, the Web/UX Developer will be part of a small team dedicated to providing the best technology solutions and user experiences for its constituents through constant collaboration, experimentation, and iteration. We aspire to achieve a new level of technical excellence, sustainability, and documentation of our now 2-year old web.
Candidates will need to be current with tools and technologies of open source software development and database architecture, e.g. Github, Vagrant, WordPress, Timber, et al. Working with experienced in-house talent, this position is ideal for someone who is curious, enjoys solving a range of technology problems, and is comfortable in a creative and dynamic academic setting.
TYPICAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Make functional changes to the front end of the GSD website using WordPress themes, shortcodes, plugins, and advanced custom fields
- Proactively maintain code base to ensure it is up to date
- Coordinate with a cross-departmental team to identify areas of site enrichment, breaking requests down to individual tasks and setting expectations
- Communicate with system administrators to ensure server uptime and system stability
- Respond to bug submissions, identifying issues within the code, external systems, or end user systems
- Produce clear and precise documentation for multiple audiences
- Assist with the creation of systems and processes around development methodologies
- Collaborate with content developers on UI/UX enhancements
- Address issues associated with rich media (e.g., interacting with multiple hosting platforms, presentation solutions for different web-based environments, improving responsiveness and performance)
- Ensure that site meets accessibility standards and requirements
- Extend existing code base to accommodate evolving code and content requirements
- Other duties as required
- 3+ years' experience developing and maintaining custom themes and/or plugins for WordPress using object-oriented PHP
- Comfort installing WordPress themes and plugins, and creating custom content types and plugins (experience using Timber templating library, a plus)
- Comfort debugging theme, plugin, and server errors
- Strong front end development skills (additional technologies used include Bower, Composer, Gulp, Node.JS, Npm, Webpack)
- Knowledge of local development environments (e.g., Vagrant's VVV)
- Knowledge of using REST APIs to pull/push information to/from external sources
- Working knowledge of Git version control systems and structured release workflows
- Comfort with Google Analytics and understanding of how SEO impacts code
- Basic understanding of LEMP/LAMP server infrastructure
- College Degree in Computer Science, Computer Engineering or equivalent technical education is strongly preferred
- The ideal candidate will have strong communication skills and an appreciation for aesthetics, including an understanding of UI and UX principles
- Must be adept at working with both technical and non-technical people
- Requires the ability to juggle multiple projects and priorities simultaneously
- Requires patience and perseverant; ability to work well as part of a team and independently and take appropriate initiative to drive forward the development process.
In order to be considered for this position, a well-written cover letter and resume is required.
NOTE: This is a one-year term limited appointment with the possibility of continuation.
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, gender identity, sexual orientation, pregnancy and pregnancy-related conditions, or any other characteristic protected by law.
|More Jobs from Harvard University|